Sunday, February 7, 2010

Since I've Been in Africa

Since moving to Africa, I have

-received communion served from an old desk drawer.

-stood next to a wall on a street so that a camel with a load of hay can take up the entire road and pass by.

-avoided human poo as I went for a scenic nature walk on the river dike.

-turned down too many marriage proposals to count.

-received a Zarma name.

-walked home from church with a herd of cattle.

-watched people jet ski/water ski on the nastiest river I've ever seen.

-eaten roasted grasshoppers.

-caught a hedgehog.

-checked my bathroom for snakes...often.

-heard some amazing poetry escape the lips of English language learners.

-realized I need to work harder at my relationship with Christ!

-fallen asleep listening to rats and lizard scurry through the attic.

-avoided donkey carts while driving.

-watched myself start to think like a mom...which kinda weirds me out!

-made a wonderful African friend.

-walked within 15 ft of a giraffe.

-been trusted with a glimpse into the hearts and minds of 19 MK's who journal for me in every class.

-wanted to adopt every kid who lives in the local orphanage.

-played softball while a tortoise walks across home-plate.

-most importantly, I've learned to learn to pray.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing...can't wait to join you and have adventures like these! I should be hearing official approval from Teach Beyond this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an amazing adventure. I have to say the music in the background really made this post seem very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the marriage proposals!!! Like you lots.
    Praying for ya.

    ReplyDelete