Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dentistry!

Tuesday nights I am on duty alone since the dorm parents have the day off. Generally the evening goes off hitch-free and I have all children safely in bed by 10:30. This Tuesday was to bring new adventures. As I walked into the little boy's room at 9:00 to send them to bed, I found Nat's hand on the door handle, tying string to it. On the other end of the string Zeb and Joshua are attempting to tie a string to Zeb's latest loose tooth. John is patiently sitting on the bed with a camera awaiting the action.

Now, as a responsible adult it is my job to find the happy balance in this situation. Is it best to stop the madness before something is damaged? (in this case, Zeb's face) or should I let boys be boys and have a fantastic memory for the rest of their lives. I, being the conservative, cautious, careful assistant, made this decision as I sat on my bed and asked John if the camera was set to video...it was.

They nearly had the string tied when Dorm Mom Janice entered and exclaimed at the stupidity of this situation and proclaimed that a tooth that is still bleeding is not ready to come out! I think Zeb's fortitude began to weaken at this point. I naturally shifted sides in the battle, since the boss was there, and retrieved a scissors. The next five minutes were spent with me attempting to snip the string out of Zeb's face and return the situation to normal. All were in bed by 9:30 and all teeth were present and accounted for. Adventure denied!

This kid is going to kill me. Good thing his dad is a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment