Thursday, December 3, 2009

Camping, Hippo Hunting, and Fun


The last month has been busy! A couple who used to be the dorm parents offered us the weekend off. So the Phillips headed down to the river bank for some camping while my friends and I headed to the plateau overlooking the river for our own camping adventure. The plateau overlooks the Niger River and a small village along the bank.

Soon after we arrived, we were greeted by a troop of children recently released from school. I have learned that most Africans do not have an 'awkward' setting. They are simply not programmed to recognize the same social courtesies we are accustomed to. This explains the following public behavior which takes place whenever and wherever the need arises: staring at white people, relieving yourself, bathing, changing, staring at white people, asking for money, and staring at white people.

Therefore, in our time on the plateau we found ourselves acting as the after school program for 30 children. It was hard for me at that moment not to be able to speak French. When I was in this situation in South Africa, I just started quietly telling Bible stories to the kids. It was amazing to watch them quiet down and just listen, even the little ones, but they all spoke English. Here in Niger, I had the perfect opportunity, but no ability. I just wanted to kick myself.

We waited for the sun to set and tried to get some good photos, but the kids would not leave! So we did. We headed down toward the golf course. Oh yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, Niamey, Niger has it's very own golf course, complete with 18 holes (marked out by rocks painted white), water hazards (sand/rocks painted blue), putting greens (oiled sand) and a clubhouse! We did not go golfing this time, but I certainly want to! I hear rumors of driving off of a piece of Astro-turf.



After dark, we returned to the campsite and pitched the tent in the dark. No children came because it was dark, but we could hear them laughing and playing in the village. Some friends came out to eat with us and we hung around the campfire for some worship. When they left, we went to sleep to the sound of donkeys braying through the night.

In the morning we were greeted by six wandering donkeys, and two little boys who came up to stare at the white people. Instead of being bothered by it, we watched the sun come up and read Job 38-40.

We cleaned up and headed down to the Phillips' campsite for our very own hippo hunting (sightseeing) experience. They took us down the Niger River for some good viewing! Hippos are actually responsible for more deaths in Africa than any other animal on the continent. They are very territorial and do not hesitate to smash a boat. The men who took us were excellent navigators and were very careful not to get too close. Which is probably quite obvious by my pictures.

Camel riding came next. Liz and I hitched up our skirts for short ride down the road. It's a little embarrassing to have a little 10 year old kids leading your camel along and reminding you to "tenez avec les deux mains." Crummy little kid! We survived (and the kid survived) and returned to Niamey in time for supper.

I have more pictures, but couldn't get them to load. Hopefully this Christmas break (when the kids aren't eating up all the broadband) I can put up more. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. haha...I love the part about how they don't have an awkward setting....I hear ya loud and clear. There's so many times I have to ask myself, "Am I really seeing that right now?!" I am wondering, though, why you didn't mention staring at white people as one of these behaviors?! ;)

    ReplyDelete